Saturday 6 January 2018

Yarn fort

Any knitter or crocheted knows that when the going gets tough, you build a yarn fort. Retreating into the calm oasis of yarn and working on creating something lovely really does soothe the soul. Whilst today has been a good day, I'm thinking ahead to the times when a yarn fort may be a required, and I have come up with a plan. More on that later.

In the meantime, here's what I'm working on:

A lovely commission piece, a vintage sweater from the sixties, in the fabulous Mrs Moon plump dk . The yarn is 80% merino and 20% baby alpaca, and it is so soft!! I find I do need to concentrate when knitting with it though, as it's very loosely spun, so I have to watch that I don't put the needle through the yarn.  I am knitting this in the angelica colourway, which is a very pleasing shade of apple green. I have been making it for aaaaages, and am now on the final sleeve, so not long to go until it's done!

Another commission, this time a crochet blanket, the Cottage Ripple blanket by Attic 24, which you can buy as a kit from wool warehouse. I'm about two thirds of the way through this and the colours are just fabulous.

And finally, my yarn fort project. I have two boxes full of random bits of stash yarn, and this year I want to knit and crochet this down to a more manageable level (I have lots of other boxes too, I'm only talking about the little bits!). So this year I intend to make a stashbuster blanket and use up all these little bits. There's a lot more colours under those top ones!  you have any patterns to suggest, I'm all ears ...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill! I think this year will be my year of the stash blustering.

    How about lots of stripey Things? Hats, scarves, wrist warmers, leg warmers, which can be sold or given as gifts or to charity?

    Another idea is to knit rectangles and squares with them, make them into laphghans A and then use as needed; join 2 or more together if a bigger blanket is needed.

    ReplyDelete